Endocrinology - Pediatric
Endocrine care designed to meet your child's needs.
With hormone fluctuations and growth and regulatory issues, endocrine disorders can impact every part of your child’s or teenager’s life – physically, emotionally and socially – making it hard to choose the best care plan.
At Marshall Health, our board-certified pediatric endocrinologist, physician assistant, certified diabetes educator, registered dietician and nurses will work with you and your child to ensure they receive the care and resources needed to thrive.
Pediatric endocrinologists diagnose, treat and manage children who are experiencing problems with growth, puberty, diabetes or other disorders related to the hormones and the glands that produce them.
Hormones are chemicals that affect how other parts of the body work. For example, hormones decide how a child grows and matures. Endocrine glands, such as the pituitary gland, release hormones into the bloodstream. Endocrinology is the science that studies these glands and the effects of the hormones.
Problems seen by pediatric endocrinologists can be quite different from those commonly seen by endocrinologists who care for adults. We offer the latest in diagnostic and treatments for the full range of endocrine and metabolic disorders including:
- Adrenal gland disorders
- Bone and mineral disorders, such as rickets or low calcium
- Childhood obesity
- Early or delayed puberty
- Enlarged thyroid gland (goiter)
- Growth problems, such as short stature
- High cholesterol levels
- Low blood sugar (hypoglycemia)
- Pituitary gland disorders
- Thyroid disorders
- Turner syndrome and Klinefelter syndrome
Treatments and Services
We deliver a comprehensive approach to clinical care, providing children, teenagers and their families with the tools necessary to deal with endocrine disorders at home or school. We also offer education, support and resources, such as:
- Diabetes care:
- Specialized care for children and adolescents with type 1 and type 2 diabetes
- In-office training and placement of continuous glucose monitors
- In-office insulin pump training and insulin pump initiation for children starting pump therapy
- Pediatric diabetes education and self-management training
- Nutritional counseling for obesity and diabetes in children
- Growth hormone replacement therapy
- Hormonal replacement therapy
- Treatment of early
- Treatment of low bone mineral density with IV therapy