Sports medicine helps prevent and treat injuries and illnesses among active, health-conscious and athletic people of all ages. At our premier sports medicine facility in Huntington, West Virginia, the Marshall Sports Medicine Institute brings together orthopaedic surgeons, physical therapists, athletic trainers, chiropractors and …. to optimize athletes' health and well-being, promote injury recovery and facilitate the safe return to sports and physical activities.
Our orthopaedic sports medicine team is trained specifically to treat injuries involving the musculoskeletal system while our other sports medicine professionals provide guidance on injury prevention strategies, performance enhancement techniques, nutrition and hydration and more.
We offer the following services
- Activity/exercise promotion
- Athletic training
- Chiropractic care
- Concussion care
- Individual exercise prescriptions for people wanting to become more active
- Injury prevention training
- Physical therapy
- Physician services
- Rehab & recovery, including pre-participation physical exams and return-to-play decisions for injured or ill athletes
- Sports physicals
- Walk-in care
We treat a wide range of conditions, including:
- Acute injuries, such as ankle sprains, joint dislocations, fractures, ligament tears and injuries to the knee, rotator cuff, shoulder and elbow
- Overuse injuries, such as stress fractures, tendonitis and muscle tears
- Traumatic brain injuries or concussions
- Managing acute and chronic illnesses (mononucleosis, asthma, diabetes, etc.) in athletes
When possible, conditions are treated non-operatively with appropriate physical therapy and related services as needed.
Not Just for Athletes
At MSMI, you can benefit from the same level of attention and expertise as The Thundering Herd, no matter what your fitness level or goals might be. Sports medicine isn’t just for athletes. We see patients of all ages, including:
- Adults and children beginning an exercise program or wanting to become more active
- Those seeking more flexibility and comfort to enjoy active pursuits
- Amateurs and athletes wanting to achieve their personal best
- Weekend warriors, who engage in bursts of activity after long periods of inactivity
- Industrial athletes, who suffer from job-related repetitive motion injury, sprain, strain, tendonitis, contusion and/or fractures
- People who require physical fitness for their jobs, such as policemen, firemen and delivery and warehouse personnel
- Those who are not physically active but have orthopaedic issues that can be addressed by sports medicine specialists
No matter why you are seeking care, the same expertise used for competitive athletes can help you return to full function as safely and quickly as possible.