Am I allowed to have caffeine?

We recommend limiting caffeine intake to no more than 200mg daily (a typical 8 ounce cup of brewed coffee contains 137mg of caffeine). Caffeine is also in tea, cola drinks, energy drinks, chocolate and some medications. You should be aware of caffeine and limit the amount you consume.

Is it okay to paint or use cleaning products while I am pregnant?

Yes, as long as you do so in a well-ventilated room.

Can I use insect repellent?

Insect repellent with DEET is safe to use and is recommended in areas with potential for mosquito or other insect borne diseases.

Can I get my hair dyed or highlighted?

Hair coloring is generally safe during pregnancy, especially after the first 12 weeks.

Am I able to get a tattoo and piercing while pregnant?

You should avoid getting a tattoo or piercing while pregnant.

What type of harmful agents should I avoid while pregnant?

Almost everything that goes into your body is shared with your baby. By putting harmful substances in your body, you put your baby at risk!

  • DO NOT SMOKE, DRINK ALCOHOL or TAKE STREET DRUGS (including marijuana).
  • Avoid second-hand smoke.
  • Avoid handling soiled cat litter.

What are some common ways to avoid overheating?

Avoid saunas, hot tubs and tanning beds. Drink lots of water when outside. Stop doing activities when you start getting hot.

Am I able to get dental work done while pregnant?

Routine dental work is encouraged. It is up to the dentist as to whether the work is necessary. Local anesthesia is safe. Most antibiotics that are used by dentists, including penicillins and cephalosporins, are safe. For dental x-rays, use abdominal shielding. We can also provide a letter outlining these guidelines for your dentist.

Prenatal classes

We encourage all obstetrical patients to look into prenatal classes at Cabell Huntington Hospital. Childbirth classes are available as well as classes on breastfeeding, infant CPR, new baby care, and sibling classes. For information or to register, please call 304-526-BABY. 

Community service organizations

  • Cabell County Family Resource Network: 304-697-0255
  • United Way, Cabell County Substance Abuse Prevention Partnership, Education Matters, Financial Stability and Success by 6: 304-523-8929
  • Huntington City Mission: 304-523-0293

 Early childhood/development/day care

  • Birth to Three: 304-523-5444
  • Head Start & Pre-K: 304-697-4600
  • LINK Child Care Resource & Referral: 1-800-894-9540
  • TEAM for WV Children: 304-523-9587
  • WV Help Me Grow: 1-800-642-8522

Health care/nutrition

Crisis and emergency needs

  • Maternal Addiction & Recovery Center (MARC): 304-691-8730
  • Abuse Hotlines (children and adult protective services, domestic violence): 1-800-352-6513
  • Branches Domestic Violence Shelter: 304-529-2382
  • Information & Referral (referrals, utility assistance, food and clothing pantries, etc.): 304-528-5660
  • Poison Control Center: 1-800-222-1222
  • Marshall OB Concern Line: 681-378-4662