Marshall Health News
Marshall Internal Medicine invites staff, community members to help HIV patients in need
Marshall Internal Medicine is currently collecting food and hygiene donations for its food pantry. The initiative began when staff members noticed an increase in their homeless population, particularly those diagnosed with HIV. Patients are given a bag of food along with hygiene items for immediate needs, while on-site social workers connect them to local community organizations to help long-term.
Donation bins are available in the Marshall University Medical Center atrium, Byrd Clinical Center lobby, at Marshall Health–Teays Valley and in Marshall Health administrative suite (3rd floor, Marshall University Medical Center) through August 30. Below are a complete list of needed items. For questions, contact Kayla Peak at email@example.com.
- Bottles of water
- Peanut butter
- Canned soup with easy open tops as many may not have access to a can opener
- Ravioli (easy open lids if possible)
- Vienna sausage (easy open lids if possible)
- Tuna (either in the packets or easy open cans if possible)
- Chicken ( either in the packets or easy open cans if possible)
- Crackers (a box with individual sleeves would be best rather than a large box)
- Canned vegetables (easy open lids if possible)
- Canned fruit (easy open lids if possible or the fruit cups)
- Canned beans (easy open lids if possible)
- Flavor packets for water
- Protein bars
- Breakfast bars
- Trail Mix bars
- Beef jerky sticks
Hygiene items are also in need such as (we do not need toothbrushes/toothpaste and feminine hygiene products):
- Bars of soap
HIV/AIDS Awareness T-shirt
Another way to support the food pantry is to purchase an AIDS Awareness t-shirt, on sale through August 31. A portion of the proceeds will go toward purchasing items for the food bank while also raising awareness about prevention and treatment. Order online at https://muhealth19.itemorder.com/sale.
Media Relations Contact
Assistant Director of External Affairs
Receive Marshall Health News
The Marshall Health newsroom offers our latest news releases, which are distributed through a Marshall University electronic mailing list.
To be added to this list, please e-mail your name, job title, e-mail address, media outlet and location to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sign Up for Healthy Herd Updates
Sign up for Marshall Health's official blog. This digital resource is full of stories, recipes, health and wellness information to help you on your wellness journey.