Healthy Eating Tip & Recipe of the Month
Love Your Health, Love Your Food
You may be treating your sweetheart this February, but don’t forget it’s also American Heart Month - so give your own heart some extra love.
Heart disease is the leading cause of death in America. But the good news is many of these deaths and risk factors are preventable.
While age, gender and family history cannot be controlled, you can prevent and control high cholesterol, high blood pressure, excess weight and obesity with lifestyle changes, medications and healthful eating.
Healthy food choices and an active lifestyle can have a big impact on your heart's health. Just a few steps and you can be on your way to a healthier heart:
- Regular, moderate physical activity lowers blood pressure and helps your body control stress and weight. Be physically active in your own way. Start by doing what you can, at least 10 minutes at a time. Always check with your physician before beginning a workout regimen.
- Eat more fruits and vegetables. One good goal is to fill half your plate with colorful fruits and vegetables every meal.
- Eat less salt by preparing foods at home so you can control the amount of salt in your meals. As you prepare meals, use as little salt as possible. You can cut at least half the salt from most recipes. As you shop, select reduced-sodium or no-salt-added canned soups and vegetables.
- Eat whole grains.
Regularly eat fatty fish like salmon, lake trout, albacore tuna (in water, if Eat fewer foods with saturated fats, trans fats, cholesterol, added sugars, and refined grains.
Source: Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics- www.eatright.org
E-mail Mallory Mount at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions. Thanks and have a healthy day!!
Mexican Chocolate Raspberry Parfaits
- Prep Time 15 min
- Total Time 15 min
- Servings 4
1 1/4 cups light chocolate soymilk
1 box (4-serving size) chocolate instant pudding and pie filling mix
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 slice (4x1 inch) angel food cake, torn into pieces
1/2 cup frozen (thawed) fat-free whipped topping
1/2 cup fresh or frozen (thawed and drained) raspberries
Grated semisweet chocolate, if desired
- In medium bowl, beat soymilk, pudding mix and cinnamon with wire whisk until mixture is blended and thickened.
- To assemble, spoon 2 tablespoons pudding into each of 4 small parfait glasses. Layer each with 1/4 of the cake, 1 tablespoon whipped topping and 2 tablespoons of the raspberries. Top each with remaining pudding and whipped topping. Garnish with grated chocolate.
Total Fat: 1g
Saturated Fat: 0g
Total Carbohydrates: 32g
Recipe from livebetteramerica.com.